Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Mothers as Nurturers (Chapter 12)

In the Family proclamation to the world released by the first presidency, it states that mothers are primarily responsibility for the nurture of their children. That is a huge thing to undertake! HUGE! I know that for me personally I want to be the best mother that I can be for my children and I know that I don't like to make mistakes, and I am sure that this is true for most mothers, we don't like to think that we did not do our very best, or that we are failures, something that I have realized is that we are not as big of failures as we think we are. One mother shared her own experience, in the book successful Marriages and Families, She said the following,
"Yesterday my husband called a little bit before lunchtime to check on how we were doing at home. The conversation was more brief than usual because he had a lunch appointment held at a nice restaurant near his office. But it was also interrupted because the toddler sitting at the table in his booster seat knocked a cup of apple juice over, sending juice flying all over himself, the floor— and all over me. When I hung up the phone I began the task of cleaning him off, wiping the sticky juice off the table and floor, and finally changing out of the now sticky sweat pants I had not been able to change out of since early that morning. While kneeling on the floor with a rag"in my hand I couldn’t help but reflect on the differences between the work my husband was doing and the work I so often did as a mother. I knew in my mind that caring for children mattered, but honestly, it was hard to see what could possibly be so important about changing diapers, wiping noses, cleaning muddy feet, and all the other hundreds of mundane chores that seemed to make up my daily life. I reflected on the bachelor’s and master’s degrees I had received and couldn’t help but wonder how after all that preparation I ended up on the floor with a rag in my hand wiping up juice spilled by a toddler. Hadn’t I been prepared to do something more significant? Something that would really make a lasting difference?"To this story I would respond with a quote from Gordon B. Hinckley
former president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he says " you never know how much good you do." I think that is for all mothers, you never know, but you are doing so much more than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment